From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Don't start a new thread by changing the subject
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 03:35:00
1 kashani wrote:
2 > On 6/24/2011 5:09 PM, David W Noon wrote:
3 >> On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 16:12:26 -0700, kashani wrote about [gentoo-user]
4 >> Don't start a new thread by changing the subject:
5 >>
6 >>> I've noticed this a couple of times this week. A few of you
7 >>> have responded to the annoying Fortran thread, changed the subject,
8 >>> started a new message, and sent the email starting a new thread.
9 >>
10 >> You're a week or two behind the times. The root cause of this was done
11 >> to death some time ago. It is the bofh.it NNTP server that propagates
12 >> this mailing list through Usenet. There is nothing we can do except
13 >> avoid using servers downstream from that rogue server.
14 >
15 > My understanding is that the NNTP server was munging headers
16 > thereby creating new threads where it should have been a single
17 > thread. This is users responding to an existing email, removing all
18 > content, changing the subject, and then sending the mail which keeps
19 > the thread headers and make it appear to be part of the current
20 > thread. I see it all the time on the motorcycle lists where the
21 > average user is much less computer proficient.
22 >
23 > kashani
27 Well, I don't see where anyone did that to the fortran thread here. All
28 posts have the same subject line. Maybe something is wrong on your end?
29
30 Dale
31