From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Do we have to build gcc with fortran now?
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 12:06:30
1 On 23 June 2011, at 22:57, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 >> ... I just keep entries in alphabetical order in single
3 >> files. I find it easier.
4 >
5 > That doesn't help with linked packages with different names. If foo
6 > requires libbar with USE="snafu", I put it in/etc/portage/package.use/foo
7 > Then if I remove foo, I remove the use file. If they were alphabetically
8 > sorted, and therefore separate, in one file, I wouldn't make the
9 > connection.
10
11 Mine isn't sorted, but it's only 20 items or so and it's grouped into "categories" of related programs. A few months ago I cleared out entries for a few programs that I no longer use - I would guess I will notice to do so again in another year or so.
12
13 Any packages which are listed because they're dependencies of something else, I add that as a # comment at the beginning of the line.
14
15 I like the idea of package.use as a directory of indie files, but haven't bothered switching over because this works so well for me. The package.use directory system seems too simple to be true - is it really no more complex than a directory of any-named files of the same format?
16
17 Stroller.