From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub2 and is the upgrade a tooth puller.
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2012 01:32:24
1 On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 3:24 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:
3 >> On 06/30/2012 05:50 AM, Dale wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> Thanks. Now more questions. I have read about this a few times but
6 >>> never quite figured it out. I copy the bzImage and name it bzImage-*
7 >>> because that is what it is named when I type make etc to build a
8 >>> kernel. Is there a difference between bzImage and vmlinux? If it is,
9 >>> is it safe to rename it like that or will it break something? If I need
10 >>> a vmlinux kernel instead of a bzImage, where is that thing? I have
11 >>> looked and I don't have one on mine here. Maybe I am missing
12 >>> something. Google didn't find me anything either.
13 >>>
14 >> As someone else said, the spelling. For grub-mkconfig to recognize it
15 >> as a kernel
16 >> the default names should begin with "vmlinuz-" or "kernel-"
17 >> For my gentoo disk, I rename the bzImage to gentoo.<XYZ> where the XYZ
18 >> is the kernel
19 >> version number. I hand mung the grub.cfg (still legacy grub) in the
20 >> usual fashion.
21 >> I will probably migrate to grub2 pretty quick next time I play with
22 >> the gentoo install.
23 >>
24 >> Grub2 grub-mkconfig os-prober method recognizes grub legacy configs
25 >> and builds proper
26 >> menuentry stanzas as needed.
27 >>
28 >> I'm using multiple discs for booting my system. The first drive (BIOS
29 >> default) is a Win7 native,
30 >> but I use the BIOS "boot menu" options to usually boot grub2 from
31 >> another drive. This drive's grub.cfg
32 >> contains all of my linux installations, which are spread around 4
33 >> different drives.
34 >>
35 > Ahhhh, I can name it kernel. That makes more sense to me. Me votes for
36 > kernel-x.y.z. Heck, this may work for me.
37 >
38 > I still don't like the deal of having to run something after changing
39 > the kernel tho. It seems to lilo-ish to me.
40
41 You can also make/maintain the grub.cfg yourself with grub2, just like
42 in old grub. In fact this is what I do... I don't use the
43 grub2-mkconfig each time, I only used it once to generate a file and
44 then edited it by hand after that. It is simply a tool to generate a
45 config file, certainly not a requirement.
46
47 I have /boot/vmlinuz and /boot/vmlinuz.old as options in my grub menu
48 (entitled "linux" and "linux (previous kernel)". When I "make install"
49 my kernel sources it automatically moves vmlinuz to vmlinuz.old and
50 copies the newest kernel to vmlinuz. The explicitly versioned files
51 are still placed there, too. This way I never have to screw around
52 with updating my grub config and it always points to latest kernel and
53 my previous kernel. (also have options for memtest86+ and windows 7)