From: Thomas Mueller <mueller6726@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Who/what names hard drives /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, etc
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2013 05:58:16
1 > Who or what decides to name a hard drive /dev/sda vs /dev/sdb?
2
3 > How does it decide what order to enumerate the drives on my computer?
4
5 > When in the boot process does is a disk given a name like "/dev/sda"?
6
7 > Thank you,
8
9 > Chris
10
11 I believe it depends on how the drives are connected.
12
13 /dev/sda would be the default boot drive, though modern computers can be configured to boot from any drive recognized by the BIOS or UEFI.
14
15 Older versions of the Linux kernel named IDE/ATA hard drives, and CD/DVD drives too, as /dev/hda, /dev/hdb and so on.
16
17 Tom