From: Marco <listworks@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Luks: Which cipher to use
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 09:21:17
1 Hi all,
2
3 I am about to encrypt my external hard drive. I found the howtos
4 http://de.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/DM-Crypt and
5 http://de.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/DM-Crypt/Daten-Partition_verschl%C3%BCsseln
6 (sorry, German...). They give a good understanding of how to do the
7 stuff, but I am unsure about which cipher to use. LRW is considered
8 insecure in some cases so thus it should be replaced by XTS which is
9 experimental though... Furthermore, if using XTS is used, there is
10 different options like xts-plain, xts-benbi, xts-essiv:sha256. Which
11 option is preferable? What about the key size? Is there any relation
12 between key size and block size of the file system in terms of data
13 security?
14
15 Thanks for your tips and suggestions!
18 Regards,
19 Marco