From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Current Dells and UEFI/secureboot (or other showstoppers)?
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 04:20:18
1 The reason I'm asking is that I have 2 Dell desktops ("production" and
2 "hot backup") that are pushing 5 or 6 years of age, and I need to
3 replace at least one. They simply can't keep up with HD video
4 streams...
5 * it could keep up with Youtube 480p videos fullscreen under ADSL 5
6 megabit service. The stream was the limit.
7 * after the speed was bumped up, it could keep up with Youtube 720p
8 videos fullscreen under ADSL 6 megabit service. The stream was
9 the limit. The download still couldn't keep up with 1080p videos.
10 * This week, I moved from "legacy 6 GAS" to "FTTN 7". Unlike GAS, FTTN
11 speeds are net, not gross. So my Speedtest.net results jumped from
12 approx 5.1-5.2 megabits to 7.1-7.2 megabits, and it can keep up with
13 1080p streams.
14 * The "newer", more powerful, machine can play 1080p Youtube videos
15 under Firefox in the "large player", but the load is pegged at between
16 2.5 and 3. For a 2-core machine, that's bad. The leaner Midori can
17 play the same video with a load between 1.7 and 2.1, which is pushing
18 it. Going to fullscreen, it stutters noticably under Firefox. Midori
19 can just barely keep up in fullscreen mode.
20 * The machine can play NHL GameCenter Live at the slowest stream
21 (400 kbits/sec). It doesn't even show the other options (800, 1600,
22 and 3000)
23
24 The 1080p video was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US3Px2sePWk Note
25 that you have to manually select 1080p. The "fmt=" option doesn't seem
26 to work anymore.
27
28 The onboard Intel GPU is not the problem; it's the CPU trying to keep
29 up with Flash. And before anyone asks...
30 * I'm running Gentoo with full optimizations
31 * I'm running ICEWM with no "desktop environment"; see my sig
32 So I don't think there are any more optimizations to be had, other than
33 a new PC. Assuming there are no showstoppers, I'll be buying another
34 Dell. They seem to last for me.
37 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
38 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications