From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on a cell?
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 03:33:32
1 On 2/18/20 9:29 PM, William Kenworthy wrote:
2 >
3 > On 19/2/20 4:16 am, james wrote:
4 >> So,
5 >>
6 >> After contacting several US carriers, the cover story is you can get a
7 >> cell phone, root it with linux, and it 'should work'. Supposedly, you
8 >> are encourage, but they
9 >> will not offer any help. So rather than spending months,
10 >> I'd like to 'cheat' and find a gentoo hack(er) that has
11 >> rooted and put some form of gentoo, or embedded_gentoo
12 >> on a cell phone.
13 >>
14 >> Please respond to the list, but, for whatever reason, private
18 >> I'm just tire of my Android cell phone downloading update *every
19 >> night*. I want/need control of the stacks
20 >> running on the phone. I have heard this is quite popular in Europe and
21 >> the Rf circuits have their own firmware, so it's really next to
22 >> impossible to hack the Rf side
23 >> of communications.....?
26 >> Any and all responses, public or private, are most welcome. Links only
27 >> are fine too!
30 >> James
33 > For gentoo, I would say "not easy at all" - the problem is custom
34 > hardware, propriety drivers and lack of information, even in well
35 > supported models.
36 >
37 > There was an app where you could install gentoo into something like a
38 > container - worked well but the android kernel I was using at the time
39 > didn't have some functioned enabled that fed into limiting some
40 > operations in the container.
41 >
42 > Easier and more practical would be to install LibreOS. You can build ii
43 > yourself and build/include your own software as needed - I did it many
44 > times with its Cyanogenmod predecessor (I presume you still can).� There
45 > are some other stacks suitable for phones such as sailfish and even
46 > android can be built yourself (and you can defang/customise it while
47 > doing it - google not needed and if you dont install GAPPS it still
48 > works fine)
49 >
50 > To be honest, if what you mentioned is your main gripe, build android
51 > and use a third party app store like F-Droid to control that side of the
52 > equation.
53 >
54 > Make sure you look into rooting, flashing a new OS and the implications
55 > of doing so - that can be another whole level of pain depending on the
56 > brand of your hardware, and how recent it is (less chance with new stuff
57 > as the really smart people have not had time to trailblaze :)
58 >
59 > BillK
60
61 Good info (thanks!)
62 Here's what I've found so far. The purpose of this posting is to share
63 info, so we have a gentoo on a cell phone. I am currently researching
64 'unlocked' samsung phones that support 5G and CDMA, so most sim cards
65 should work. If others are interested, or know of viable github (etc)
66 places to upload codes to, gentoo centric, I'd be all for that. I just
67 done with carriers running my cell phones. Sure they can control the RF
68 (hardware), but not the software running on the phone. here are a few
69 links::
72 https://fossbytes.com/how-to-install-a-linux-on-android-phone-without-rooting/
75 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_operators
76
77 Here is an unlocked 5G and CDMA? I'm looking at to root with gentoo::
78
79 Galaxy S20 5G 128GB (Unlocked)
80 https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/phones/galaxy-s/galaxy-s20-5g-128gb-unlocked-sm-g981uzaaxaa/
81
82 Chating with samsung right now. Explaining *why* there needs to be a
83 samsung dev phone, supporting and working with Gentoo.... we'll see
84 how this goes...
85
86 More comments? encouragement, folks interested?
87
88 James