From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Something eats my memory - please help
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2017 22:58:52
1 Am Sun, 9 Apr 2017 23:40:15 +0200
2 schrieb David Haller <gentoo@×××××××.de>:
3
4 > Hello,
5 >
6 > On Sun, 09 Apr 2017, Kai Krakow wrote:
7 > >Am Sun, 9 Apr 2017 19:09:23 +0200
8 > >schrieb David Haller <gentoo@×××××××.de>:
9 > >
10 > >> On Sun, 09 Apr 2017, Kai Krakow wrote:
11 > [...]
12 > >>
13 > >> Tell us, why exactly would one need upower again, anyway?
14 > >
15 > >If you don't need it, don't use it. This was an example, not a call
16 > >to use it.
17 > >
18 > >It reports battery status of peripherals for me.
19 >
20 > Surely, there must be other apps to report this for you, besides a
21 > mem-hogging behemoth, that (I guess) actually does not much more than
22 > 'cat /sys/...something'! .5 Gig or even more?? You're kidding me,
23 > right? Riiigghhhhhtt????? That's just plain insane! Stuff like that
24 > should run in a few KB. Or a few MB with a fancy GUI and DE
25 > integration.
26
27 It uses 1M of memory currently. The 512M limit I set is just a safety
28 boundary. I don't actually want to limit it, but when it goes havoc
29 it's as least limited.
30
31 > You could probably do that with a few lines of perl/python/ruby plus
32 > the toolkit of your choice (Tk, Gtk, Qt, Wx, Fltk, ...).
33
34 Yes, I could probably code everything myself in tiny little
35 scriptlets. But it's not worth the effort. This machine has 16G of
36 memory, it can run full-blown KDE, it uses 5G of memory after fully
37 booted (including two containers, mysql and elasticsearch, for devel
38 purposes), and that boots in 30s from a mixed bcache/btrfs file system.
39
40 > I e.g. wanted a minmal clock to have while playing movies fullscreen.
41
42 That's what I have a smartphone for. I don't sit in front of my PC to
43 watch full-screen movies (tho, the TV is connected to the machine).
44
45 > Result: ~21 lines of generously formatted perl using Tk and a
46 > bold-white-on-black (easily changeable) digital clock with a mere
47 > 38x20 pixels in the right-top-corner (easily changeable).
48
49 That's a nice solution if you have enough time and want to stay
50 minimal on system pressure. I just want to stay minimal on
51 distractions, so I don't have CPU meters and whatever always visible
52 on screen. I also don't need all those fancy live graphics of memory,
53 disk usage, CPU, load, whatever on the X root window. I never
54 understand what's the purpose of that is anyways because I have
55 multiple windows in front of it. Hence, I even have no icons on the
56 desktop, just some different background images to easily distinguish
57 between energy profiles: I'm using activities to switch between
58 "listen to music", "watch videos/play games", "development", and
59 "browse internet and other desktop activities". And I hardly use menus
60 to start programs: I use the krunner search and a fullscreen launcher
61 for my favorite apps. I really hate those deeply nested menu launchers,
62 I want flat easy structures, searchable. During development I almost
63 only use keyboard shortcuts.
64
65 > Haven't implemented the "Keep on top" stuff right though yet, but ISTR
66 > that should be possible too with perl/Tk. Or any of the above
67 > mentioned lang/toolkit combos. And the "on-top" stuff also depends on
68 > your WM in the details.
69
70 That should be pretty much standardized by now, probably you could just
71 call "xprop -set" from your scripts.
72
73 > And anyway: 'eix batt' spits out e.g. x11-misc/xbatt,
74 > x11-misc/xbattbar, x11-plugins/wmbatteries...
75
76 Plain old X programs with Tk or xwidgets are exactly not what I am
77 looking for. I seek a visually streamlined desktop, so I mostly
78 exclusively use Qt or KDE programs excepts there's no suitable
79 alternative. So, e.g. I still use gitk a lot although I found git-cola
80 appealing. Still I'm doing lot of git stuff directly on the console. I
81 use git-cola only for fast and easy hunk committing and visual browsing
82 of current workspace status.
83
84 > As I do just have a normal below-desk PC, I can't help with the
85 > /sys/*batt*? stuff, but if it breaks down to basically displaying the
86 > contents of some files under /sys/ then it's a piece of cake whupping
87 > up an UI displaying that as e.g percent or whatever.)
88
89 I have a normal below-desk PC, too, hidden inside the desk, and 6 or 7
90 years old [1]. But I use a wireless mouse and keyboard for working - I
91 don't want cables and lots of stuff visible on or under my desk. And I
92 want some battery warning/status for these devices, integrating with
93 what I run: KDE Plasma.
94
95 > Probably, I'd just have to change the "update" sub (1 line) of my
96 > clock to read that /sys/-file instead of the time and
97 > whoopididoooda ;)
98
99 You are free to put it on github or so, I'd even be curious looking at
100 it.
101
102 > A fancy graphic bar would be a bit more coding.
103
104 It's always nice when new features integrate easy as I can tell from my
105 own projects, tho I do ruby mostly.
106
107 > Oh, and have a look at gkrellm and its plugins. It might have all you
108 > want already and then some :)
109
110 No, I hate that. See above. Too overwhelmin, too distracting, and
111 either it steals screen real estate or isn't visible anyways and thus
112 no need to run it altogether. As I said, I never understood why one
113 would need such fancy monitor stuff. If I feel the need of monitoring
114 some status, I usually do this in a console window using CLI tools.
115
116 > Now, integration in the "big" DEs of KDE/Gnome3, you're screwed.
117 > Royally. But that comes with those DEs anyway. Like Gnome3 requiring
118 > systemd (WTF?)...
119
120 Systemd actually does a lot of things right for me, like bringing the
121 system up and down reliably which sysvinit/openrc often didn't. And it
122 does this fast.
123
124 > But, you can still display stuff without "integration".
125
126 Actually, I want integration. And I wish that the Linux desktop would
127 gain a lot more progress here. I guess it's always a game of choice
128 vs. integration: With Linux, you have a lot of choice but also a lot of
129 competing solutions which do not integrate so well with each other.
130
131 Don't get me wrong: I prefer choice and configuration over vendor
132 locking, but I think that all those Linux components need to learn to
133 integrate better with each other, and systemd is one big player of
134 this. And by this I don't mean to lock down hard dependencies to
135 systemd. But systemd provides a long needed API definition that
136 everyone could implement. Depending on such an API would be okay for
137 me, hard depends on systemd, tho, is not what should be done, as that
138 would take away choice.
139
140 > Myself, I found WindowMaker in ~200[01] and am happy as a bunny since
141 > then, I think I had to change just one option _ONCE_ since then in my
142 > config. One "forced" change in ~1[67] years? I'll call that ok! Sure,
143 > there was new, optional stuff, but documented and often times even
144 > appearing as e.g. a new checkbox in the WPrefs app. Compare _that_ to
145 > KDE ... I switched to WMaker, avoiding KDE2.0! Never looked back.
146
147 I used CDE on Solaris late in the 90's and always hated it. I arranged
148 with using fluxbox by that time, I also tried WindowMaker for a while
149 on my privat machine. Then came KDE based on Qt and it did a lot of
150 things in a way I liked - and I stayed with it since then, with some
151 experiments using Ubuntu and it's Unity desktop (which I kinda liked
152 for some ideas but mostly hated for it's non-configurability).
153
154 > PS: yes, Windowmaker was and is what I was looking for, but KDE 1.1
155 > served ok until then. And I did look at KDE2-5 and Gnome1-3 in
156 > various version, no, not for me. *bleargh*
157
158 Well, Plasma 5 is for me, but visually stripped down a lot, and
159 configured mostly for flat colors, no window borders, and with subtle
160 shadows and almost no colors (except important spots on the screen). It
161 looked a lot like Win8 or Win10 for me before those were distributed,
162 with some usability ideas "borrowed" from OS X (yes, plasma 5.9
163 luckily brought back the global menu bar so I could unclutter the
164 windows even more).
165
166 KDE 3 by that time started to become a cluttered mess, pumped full of
167 stuff you never need and visually becoming too distracting. That was
168 the time when I started to try other desktops. Then came KDE 4 which
169 had some nice ideas but was becoming a mess and migration nightmare, I
170 lived with that and stripped away what wasn't working correctly, or
171 replaced it with alternatives (mostly web-based). Now, since some
172 months, Plasma 5 has come into real good shape. And thanks to
173 Chrome/Chromium I can run many web-based apps like normal desktop apps
174 (with their own native looking windows instead of in browser tabs).
175
176 [1]: Storage, CPU coolor, and graphics card has been upgraded
177 since ;-)
180 Regards,
181 Kai
182