From: "Александър Л. Димитров" <aleks_d@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] genkernel vs kernel manual compilation
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 00:09:07
1 On 01:09 Fri 31 Aug, Arnau Bria wrote:
2 > On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 14:52:54 -0400
3 > Ryan Sims wrote:
4 >
5 > > On 8/30/07, Florian Philipp <f.philipp@××××××.de> wrote:
6 > > > Am Donnerstag 30 August 2007 20:16:02 schrieb Ryan Sims:
7 > > > > On 8/30/07, Arnau Bria <arnau@×××××××××.net> wrote:
8 > Genekrnel used one, so I assume my kernel generated using genkernel's
9 > config needs initrd too.
12 There are two reasons for using an initrd IIRC:
13
14 - you need a userland utility during boot time
15 - you need to load modules during boot time
16
17 'during boot time' refers to the few seconds the kernel needs to boot
18 up. That's done when it says 'Init version foo loading'.
19 I did never need to use an initrd, but I was forced to do so lately
20 because of uvesafb - if you didn't patch your kernel you probably don't
21 need an initrd.
22
23 So I suggest you edit your .config using make menuconfig and compile
24 stuff like fs-drivers and hdd controllers into the kernel since that
25 stuff usually tends not to change that often and go without an initrd
26 since it only adds lag to the boot procedure for nothing.
27
28 Regards,
29 Aleks