From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Setting basic ALSA defaults
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 21:31:37
1 On 25 April 2012, at 19:58, Stroller wrote:
2 > ...
3 > So this is problematic the next time I reboot, because all of a sudden, now alsamixer doesn't work. In fact, I can demonstrate that the problem is related directly to this file:
4 >
5 > # alsamixer
6 > cannot open mixer: Invalid argument
7 > # rm /etc/asound.conf
8 > # alsamixer
9 > # echo $?
10 > 0
11 > #
12 >
13 > So could anyone possibly explain this for me, please?
14
15 Ok, fixed this.
16
17 `alsamixer -c 0` makes it work.
18
19 I was sure I tried this before, and it didn't work. Confusion is compounded here, because I'm using my laptop, working by SSH, and if I leave the nettop for too long the TV screen blanks; this onboard audio requires the nVidia drivers to be loaded, and this screen blanking also causes the audio to stop. I keep forgetting to notice this!
20
21 If anyone could explain how I make card 0 the default for alsamixer, too, then I'd be very grateful. That question leads on to…
22
23 > I'm liable to have another question or two in a moment, but I'd initially just really love to understand why the alsa documentation says to have separate pcm.!default and ctl.!default definitions (instead of a single "everything.!default)
24
25 TIA,
26
27 Stroller.