From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Increasing security [WAS: Rooted/compromised Gentoo, seeking advice [Solved?]
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 20:05:54
1 On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 11:58 AM, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > * Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 >>    Since I'm not an IT guy could you please explain this just a bit
7 >> more? What is 'a container'? Is it a chroot running on the same
8 >> machine? A different machine? Something completely different?
9 >
10 > http://lxc.sourceforge.net/
11 > http://wiki.openvz.org/Main_Page
12 >
13 > Unlike VM solutions like kvm, vmware, etc, these (OS-side)
14 > container implementations split off the operating system
15 > resources (filesystem, network interfaces, process-IDs, ...)
16 > into namespaces, so each container only sees its own resources,
17 > not those of the host system or other containers.
18 >
19 > That's essentially what's behind the "virtual private server"
20 > solutions offered by various ISPs.
21 >
22 >>    In the OP's case (I believe) he thought a personal machine at home
23 >> was compromised. If that's the case then without doubling my
24 >> electrical bill (2 computers) how would I implement your containers?
25 >
26 > He would have several virtual servers running on just one metal.
27 > If the host system is not accessible from the outside world, just
28 > the virtual servers - an attacker could probably highjack what's
29 > inside the virtual servers, but cant get to the host system.
32 > cu
33
34 Thank you Enrico. I'll have to learn about this.
35
36 Cheers,
37 Mark