From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Suspend to RAM caused crashes
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 17:29:56
1 Am Sonntag 21 August 2011, 19:26:47 schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
2 > On 08/21/2011 07:08 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 8:43 AM, Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@×××××.de>
4 wrote:
5 > >> On 08/21/2011 06:33 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
6 > >>> On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 8:12 AM, Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@×××××.de>
7 > >>>
8 > >>> wrote:
9 > >>>> On 08/21/2011 02:19 PM, Francesco Talamona wrote:
10 > >> [...]
11 > >>
12 > >> The RAM gets hot when there's RAM load (meaning being used heavily),
13 > >> not
14 > >> when there's CPU load :*)
15 > >
16 > > Do you feel heat when your PC is turned on and running hard? Of course
17 > > you do. The whole machine heats up. The CPU under load heats the
18 > > machine so the RAM and drives and everything else heats up also. Not
19 > > as hot as the CPU, but it heats up. So I might agree with you - the
20 > > RAM might not be 'hot', but it would certainly be 'warmer'.
21 > >
22 > > I'm not suggesting that this would cause a normal DRAM stick to go
23 > > bad, but only that if he had a very marginal bit of RAM that it might
24 > > go out of spec...
25 >
26 > On a laptop maybe. On a desktop, the air around the RAM modules get
27 > maybe 1 degree C warmer (I know because I have temp sensor there,
28 > connected to the front panel).
29
30 me too - and the direction of air flow from the cpu cooler plus the warmth of
31 the air can change the temperature of the ram sticks by 5°C. So...
32
33 No, not 'laptop maybe'.
36 > When it does get warm is when there's GPU and disk load. Those suckers
37 > combined can raise the temp inside the box by 5-6 degrees.
38
39 those can raise it even more.
42 > The meaning of all this is that if memtest can't find any errors after a
43 > full run (which can take an hour), the chances of getting an > error that
44 > is really related to RAM under CPU stress are very slim.
45
46 a full run is more than 24h. Everything shorter is only of worth if you
47 already hit errors after a few minutes.
50 #163933