From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub2 and is the upgrade a tooth puller.
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 09:52:25
1 Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > Thanks for "announcing" this Dale. grub-2.00 is in ~arch as of last night.
3 >
4 > Given your current naming scheme, grub2-mkconfig will not detect your
5 > kernels. They must be named vmlinuz-version or kernel-version. For
6 > example:
7 >
8 > /boot/vmlinuz-3.4.3
9 > /boot/kernel-2.6.39-gentoo
10 >
11 > Your initramfs files look good.
12 >
13 > Space wise, grub needs a couple hundred sectors after your MBR to
14 > embed itself. If you used the default fdisk setting when you
15 > partitioned your drive, you should have 2047 free sectors that it can
16 > use.
17 >
18 > If you have your kernels named properly and some free sectors on your
19 > hard drive, setting up grub:2 is a very easy process. See the wiki
20 > page for more info.
21 >
22 > http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2_Quick_Start
26 Thanks. Now more questions. I have read about this a few times but
27 never quite figured it out. I copy the bzImage and name it bzImage-*
28 because that is what it is named when I type make etc to build a
29 kernel. Is there a difference between bzImage and vmlinux? If it is,
30 is it safe to rename it like that or will it break something? If I need
31 a vmlinux kernel instead of a bzImage, where is that thing? I have
32 looked and I don't have one on mine here. Maybe I am missing
33 something. Google didn't find me anything either.
34
35 Someone else posted the space their grub2 install used so I got plenty
36 of space for that. I made /boot about 375Mbs last time, thinking about
37 grub2 I guess. So, I guess I am good on that part.
38
39 Thanks much.
40
41 Dale
42
46 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!