From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: package.keywords
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 06:43:47
1 On Tuesday 23 June 2009 01:17:16 Dale wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 15:51:31 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
4 > >> I'm mostly running stable with exceptions being enabled
5 > >> via the /etc/portage file structure. Usually it's small,
6 > >> but now with kde4, BLOAT is my modus operandi,
7 > >> not by choice......
8 > >
9 > > It's easier to manage if you make portage.keywords a directory then put
10 > > the actual packages in files within that directory. That way you can
11 > > separate the files needed to run KDE4 from any other group of packages.
12 > >
13 > > All package.* files in /etc/portage can be replaced a directories, then
14 > > all the files in that directory are considered as a whole.
15 >
16 > For some reason, my light bulb has still not came on so here comes some
17 > questions. I would create /etc/portage/package.keywords then inside
18 > that another directory or a set of files? Say, one named KDE4 to put
19 > all of KDE4 and it's little friends and then another for some other set
20 > of packages? Is this sort of like the sets thing which I am still
21 > curious about?
22
23 Yes, precisely.
24
25 If package.keywords is a single file, then all your keywords must be in that
26 file. This is difficult for ebuilds to manipulate, and difficult for you to
27 edit too. If I send you my list of KDE keywords, you have to copy paste the
28 lot into a file and put comments at the start and end so you know what it all
29 is.
30
31 If package.keywords is a directory, then portage/ebuilds/tools/you can add and
32 remove entire files easily, leaving everything else untouched.
33
34 > Right now, package.keywords and friends are files not directories.
35 > Maybe tarring up your portage directory and emailing me off list would
36 > help? I need a light bulb moment here. :/
37
38 It's easy. As root:
39
40 cd /etc/portage
41 mv package.keywords package.keywords~
42 mkdir package.keywords
43 mv package.keywords~ package.keywords/package.keywords
44
45 The destination file in the last command can be named anything you like.
46
47 Now, if you install enlightenment, create and edit
48 /etc/portage/package.keywords/e17
49 If I send you my KDE keywords as an attachment, right-click, Save As,
50 /etc/portage/package.keywords/kde4
51
52 Done, sorted.
55 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com