From: Roland Puntaier <Roland.Puntaier@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] unknown symbol request_module
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 10:33:35
1 Hi,
2
3 I am installing Gentoo on an older notebook of mine and have the following
4 problem:
5
6 After a first try to make sound work, where I had OSS checked in the
7 kernel configuration,
8 I followed the gentoo alsa guide
9 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml
10
11 But got a lot of "unknown symbol" entries at boot (viewed afterwards via
12 dmesg).
13 The first seems to be the reason for the others: unknown symbol
14 request_module.
15
16 request_module is defined in vmlinux (via "nm vmlinux | grep
17 request_module")
18 but not linked in soundcore.o ("nm soundcore.o | grep request_module" says
19 U(ndefined))
20
21 Since request_module is needed to load kernel modules, no kernel modules
22 can be loaded, and therefore symbols from such modules are not there.
23 This leads to the other "unknown symbol" messages. So the question is, why
24 request_module does not get linked properly.
25
26 What I already tried:
27 I saved the .config and did
28 make mrproper
29 and restored .config.
30 Then
31 make && make modules_install
32
33 But that did not help.
34
35 Did somebody experience anything similar?
36 Could somebody give me a hint how to solve this problem?
37
38 Thanks in advance.
39 Cheers. Roland