From: Matthias Bethke <Matthias.Bethke@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [ot] PDF or PS format for daily use?
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 23:49:56
1 Hi Daniel,
2 on Monday, 2005-10-24 at 11:33:47, you wrote:
3 > Take a look at this... PDF is the proprietary modification of ps,
4 > added some tags and some compression (that can easily be repeated with
5 > lots of advantages in any compressor). And, well, read for yourself.
6
7 This is obviously a few years old; the guy still has a point about
8 ergonomics but I don't have any problems with PDF files on Linux today.
9 The huge advantage PDF has over PS that it's searchable and accomodates
10 bitmap graphics with decent compression. Put a 300dpi A5-size JPEG into
11 a TeX document and run it through pdfTeX---and then convert it to PS...
12 For something that prints nicely and is still accessible, there is just
13 no usable alternative.
14
15 regards
16 Matthias
19 I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: 90CF8389
20 Fingerprint: 8E1F 1081 A466 2946 B98A B9E2 099F 3B91