From: Jorge Almeida <jalmeida@××××××××××××.pt>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] browser advice
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 20:18:46
1 On Thu, 30 Nov 2006, Matthias Bethke wrote:
2
3 > Hi Jorge,
4 > on Wednesday, 2006-11-29 at 21:00:06, you wrote:
5 >
6 > Are you sure you aren't being sent to the Portuguese version because
7 > Google finds your IP is in Portugual and redirects you to where it
8 > thinks you want to go? I've seen this in .de, .br and .ph, so I presume
9 > it's the same in other countries.
10
11 Yes, but redirection shouldn't be a problem. The Google preferences
12 are supposed to determine what language Google uses and what pages it
13 searches, and these preferences are just not kept.
14
15 > I also don't want the national versions so I go directly to
16 > http://www.google.com/advanced_search
17 > where the redirection doesn't happen. Works fine in any browser here.
18 >
19 It is good to have this link, together with others mentioned in this
20 thread. But I need to search files in several languages, not just
21 English, so I set the preferences. Then, since they are not kept, I would
22 have to do it everytime I would start a search!
23 >
24 Cheers,
25
26 Jorge