From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] system lag with gentoo-sources-2.6.35-r2
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 14:36:47
1 On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 2:01 PM, Alan Warren <bluemoonshine@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I am having some system performance issues with this kernel release. I have
5 > a SMP machine (dual xeon nehalem 8 core / 16 threads) with 24gb non-ecc
6 > memory.
7 >
8 > On occasion (seems random so far) my system feels like a Pentium II trying
9 > to cope with Vista. For example, I was in the middle of tar'ing a semi-large
10 > file and noticed all of my apps came to a crawl. Scrolling in firefox,
11 > typing in the terminal, or trying to navigate in my file manager resulted in
12 > breif "pauses" that came in waves. On one occasion my system froze
13 > completely and I had to manually reset the machine. (that was with
14 > 2.6.35-r1)
15 >
16 > I didn't activate anything "new" in this kernel release that I don't
17 > normally activate. ie, no cpuidle driver
18
19 Sounds exactly like the same problem I was having. I posted about it
20 recently on this list. Downgrading to the latest 2.6.34 made
21 everything work normally again.
22
23 > Is there a proper venu for debugging such matters, or should I just wait for
24 > this kernel to go prime-time?
25
26 Well, 2.6.35 is already prime-time as far as it has been released and
27 is not RC...
28
29 The proper way to debug would be to do a git bisect of the kernel.org
30 sources until you find the exact patch that broke things. I haven't
31 had time to attempt such a feat yet, so I'm just waiting patiently for
32 someone else to figure it out instead. :)