From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Backups and snapshots [Was: Organising btrfs subvolumes]
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 12:53:41
1 On 28/05/2014 13:42, Joost Roeleveld wrote:
2 >>> Currently, I do the following:
3 >>> > > Every year, a full backup
4 >>> > > Then, every month, I have an incremental based on either the yearly or
5 >>> > > previous monthly.
6 >>> > > Ditto for the weekly (but then based on monthly or weekly)
7 >>> > > And again for the daily.
8 >> >
9 >> > OK, that makes sense.
10 >> >
11 >> > It reminds me of an issue my wife had with the data warehouse when she
12 >> > worked at the bank. In a nutshell, they needed backups but backups were
13 >> > impossible to achieve because physics says so. They needed to get data
14 >> > off the disk 4 times faster than data comes off a disk - SCSI limits
15 >> > being rather hard limits :-) That opinion didn't go down well when I
16 >> > offered it
17 > Haha :)
18 > I know the feeling.
19 > I'd love to know the final solution they came up with.
20
21 It was clever magic with LVM snapshots, but I'm not privy to the details
22 - it was a bank after all and there's only so much Mrs Alan and the
23 sysadmins could tell me.
24
25 But it went something like this:
26
27 Take a snapshot and copy that data to the SAN. This takes days or weeks
28 and it's only ever done once. Thereafter, snapshots only. The backup
29 system would take that last full + incrementals and create a new full
30 for it's own use, this process runs independent from everything else and
31 must take as long as it takes while the db carries on doing it's thing.
32 If two backup jobs start to overlap in time, one of them gets discarded.
33
34 Quite a clever scheme actually and it relies on storage being shared on
35 the SAN to work, plus some in-house magic to get the backup system to
36 recognise and use LVM snapshots natively. I believe performance impact
37 was kept to acceptable levels by cleverly setting priorities -
38 read/writes by the db take priority over backup reads which has to take
39 a back seat and just wait it's turn.
43 >> > The solution was to do it much like your plan above.
44 >> > With the benefit that the infrequent full backups would be done on a
45 >> > fixed schedule in a change window with X hours downtime that was known
46 >> > well in advance.
47 > Using snapshots, the downtime is the same couple of minutes each night.
48 > The problem is that during the backup, the performance of the server is
49 > impacted. For a full backup, that means weeks...
53 Alan McKinnon
54 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com