From: Jean-Marc Beaune <jm.beaune@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Remerge the system with gcc-4.1?
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 15:38:30
1 For me, the problem was that I had to change CHOST...then I'll re-install
2 from scratch.
3 But I don't say Gentoo is bad, I say, I am bad at Gentoo !
6 On 9/8/06, Timothy A. Holmes <tholmes@×××××××××.net> wrote:
11 > > -----Original Message-----
12 > > From: Grant [mailto:emailgrant@×××××.com]
13 > > Sent: Friday, September 08, 2006 10:25 AM
14 > > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
15 > > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Remerge the system with gcc-4.1?
16 > >
17 > > > I am leaving my office in a moment to put the 2006.1 disk in a
18 > server to
19 > > > start a fresh build (it's a standby server and I can afford to have
20 > it
21 > > > off line for a day or 2) specifically to avoid having to do the gcc4
22 > > > upgrade. Ive done one so far and it took me 5 days and nearly cost
23 > me
24 > > > my laptop -- and I followed the gentoo guide specifically. There
25 > has
26 > > > GOT to be a better way. Sadly I cant take each of my servers
27 > offline to
28 > > > do upgrade them this way -- some I will have to risk on the GCC
29 > upgrade,
30 > > > but for now im avoiding it like the plague.
31 > > >
32 > > > Tim
33 > >
34 > > I've followed the GCC upgrade guide before without problems, but now
35 > > I'm scared. Is all the trouble because of how Gentoo works or how GCC
36 > > works? What is the trouble like? Packages that won't compile, or
37 > > different things breaking in the system?
38 > >
39 > > - Grant
40 > > --
41 > > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
42 >
43 > [Timothy A. Holmes]
44 > Most of my problems came in the stage of the revdep-rebuild things
45 > simply wouldn't build. I finally solved it by un-installing as many of
46 > the offending packages as I could, multiple emerge --sync and about 10
47 > attempts at revdep-rebuild
48 >
49 > NOT a process I wanna go through again -- believe me!!! -- sadly -- I
50 > don't have a choice -- ive already got one machine that wont upgrade
51 > until I do it - -im just delaying as long as possible
54 > Timothy A. Holmes
55 > IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher
56 >
57 > Medina Christian Academy
58 > A Higher Standard...
59 >