From: Coert Waagmeester <lgroups@××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SOLVED hdparm and write caching
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 07:35:15
1 On 03/28/2011 10:35 AM, Mick wrote:
2 > On Monday 28 March 2011 09:11:51 Coert Waagmeester wrote:
3 >> Hello all,
4 >>
5 >> Running a box with 2x1TB software raid disks.
6 >> A while back I read up about disk write caching and it's pros/cons.
7 >>
8 >> I then decided to disable it on my box.
9 >> Edited /etc/conf.d/hdparm and added -W0 for sata_all_args.
10 >> And added it to the default runlevel.
11 >>
12 >> It works, on bootup it turns off write caching.
13 >> But a while later when KDE is up and running and I check with hdparm -W
14 >> /dev/sd? write caching is on again.
15 >>
16 >> Now, I have two questions,
17 >> How can I find out what turned it back on, and how can I prevent it?
18 >>
19 >> Is it necessary/prudent to turn it off in the first place?
20 >>
21 >> At the moment I run a cron job that checks every 10 minutes and turns it
22 >> off if it is enabled. But that feels like a somewhat ugly solution...
23 >
24 > Try touch /etc/pm/power.d/harddrive to see if it works. Also read this thread
25 > and the bugs mentioned in there:
26 >
27 > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/232788/focus=233098
28