From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] flash drive FAT partition disappears
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 03:41:56
1 091119 Alan E. Davis wrote:
2 > A student handed me a USB flash drive with a video file on it
3 > he wanted to offer to me to watch. It mounted automatically,
4 > I copied the file, then I took the disk out and gave it to him.
5 > I cannot say with 100% certainty that I unmounted it.
6 > The file was completely copied.
7 > Today he came back asking what happened to his disk, nothing there anymore.
8 > I checked. Gparted says this drive (4 GB I think)
9 > has 2 Terabytes of unallocated space.
10 ^^^^^^^^^ surely not on a USB drive ??
11
12 A few quick suggestions: (1) you told it 'mv', not 'cp' (I've done that);
13 (2) he did something with it after he got it back (people do);
14 (3) he brought back a different USB stick (people mix them up);
15 (3) why don't you simply reformat the drive as Vfat for him
16 & copy the video file back onto it ? did it contain other items too ?
17 -- Surely, nothing you can have done would have deleted a partition !
21 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
22 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
23 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca