From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE 5
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 09:11:08
1 On Tuesday 12 July 2016 13:30:58 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > It looks as if in the near future I am going to have to install KDE 5 ,
3 > if I want to go on using my regular daily apps Konsole Gwenview Okular ;
4 > yes, I know I can limit exposure to their requirements
5 > & don't need to install the whole desktop system.
6 >
7 > Before I plunge into that, is anyone else using KDE 5 every day ?
8 > What are people's experiences with it ?
9
10 I built a separate KDE-5 system in some spare disk space to see what it was
11 like. I thought it was the ugliest desktop I'd ever seen, but after a good
12 deal of poking around and waiting for enough development progress to have been
13 made I did eventually find a group of settings that suited me.
14
15 At that point, about a week ago, I converted my KDE-4 main system to KDE-5 and
16 I'm now using it happily. This is a desktop box running BOINC projects 24/7 so
17 it has no need of hibernation etc. but I do use KMail, which I've always
18 liked. I also don't use dolphin much, nor konqueror at all, so I haven't
19 stumbled over the problems some others are reporting.
20
21 So I'm fairly happy with it for now.
24 Rgds
25 Peter