From: Mark Kirkwood <markir@××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on the server side
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 00:42:50
1 Rafael Barrera Oro wrote:
2 > The issue is, as you should already must have guessed, if its a
3 > good idea to deploy Gentoo in a server. For the first time, i have the
4 > opportunity to install Gentoo on a properly set (almost pimped out)
5 > server and i wanted to be sure i know what i am doing before getting
6 > on with it. Where i work at, the tradition is to go with FreeBSD
7 > (which is, without a doubt, very stable) but since our FreeBSD guru
8 > parted i've been juggling the idea of starting to use Gentoo on
9 > servers instead of using it only on desktops.
10 > I have always found very useful stuff in www.gentoo.org
11 > <http://www.gentoo.org>, however, i have not found a specific server
12 > side faq. Does anyone know where i could get such documentation?
13 >
14 > Any pointers, opinions, faqs, insights, etc will be greatly appreciated
15
16 I use 2 Gentoo servers for my work activities (I need at least 2 Linux
17 deploy hosts for the database cluster product I participate in building).
18
19 Since using Gentoo early in 2006, I haven't had any stability issues,
20 and I'm fairly aggressive with updates - every month.
21
22 Cheers
23
24 Mark
25
26 P.s: Funny - I use FreeBSD as my workstation os...
27 --
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list