From: daid kahl <daidxor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Digest of gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org issue 1710 (90678-90727)
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 10:25:27
1 >
2 > hi,
3 >
4 > after trying many time, i am again trying to install the gentoo on my
5 > macbook pro 4.1 . after pessing 2 days with it, still i have some problem:
6 > 1. sound not working (tried most of the solutions that available online
7 > 2. wifi not working
8 > 3. touchpad not working ok (two fingurs scroll working, but not the second
9 > click and not moving ok)
10 >
11 > anybody here using gentoo on macbook pro
14 I run Gentoo on a (white) MacBook v2, and with some exceptions (video card,
15 backlighted keyboard, network card, number of fans, something I forgot?),
16 the hardware is mostly the same to my knowledge. In general, I have made
17 good documentation for how do install Gentoo on a MacBook, and it will be
18 online in a couple months. I'm not actually that good with Gentoo, so there
19 may be easier or better ways to do the things I do, but I am able to use all
20 the MacBook hardware in Gentoo, so I'll tell you what I've done. (This is
21 to say that respondants should be nice to me, because I'm not claiming this
22 is gospel!)
23
24 For the sound I did not have to do anything special for the MacBook, so I'll
25 just give a run down of the things you should do in general (which I also
26 did and found to work). Make sure you've gotten alsa-utils and alsa-oss
27 from portage. Then make sure to run alsaconf, and that the daemon alsasound
28 is started and in your default rc. If you update the kernel, you'd need to
29 re-run alsaconf. For my 2.6.26 kernel, I have these ALSA
30 configurations:CONFIG_SND=m;CONFIG_SND_TIMER=m;CONFIG_SND_PCM=m;CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER=m;CONFIG_SND_OSSEMUL=y;CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS=m;CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=m;CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS_PLUGINS=y;CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER_OSS=y;CONFIG_SND_RTCTIMER=m;CONFIG_SND_SEQ_RTCTIMER_DEFAULT=y;CONFIG_SND_SUPPORT_OLD_API=y;CONFIG_SND_VMASTER=y
31
32 For wifi I found that madwifi-ng in portage does not make wifi on my MacBook
33 work; probably it's user error, but maybe not. But it's really easy to do
34 it manually, though. Just get the drivers with subversion and install them,
35 as follows:
36
37 $ cd /usr/src
38 # svn checkout http://svn.madwifi-project.org/madwifi/trunk madwifi
39 $ cd madwifi
40 # make
41 # make install
42 # ln -s /usr/src/madwifi /usr/include/madwifi
43
44 Now, for updates in the source code, we need only:
45
46 # cd /usr/src/madwifi && svn update
47
48 Whenever you install a new kernel, you need to go to /usr/src/madwifi and
49 make && make install again.
50
51 If your touchpad is working and you can two-finger scroll then I'm guessing
52 you got synaptics working, and now it's just an issue to set up specific
53 details. xorg.conf configuration for synaptics is now deprecated, but a lot
54 of the documentation for Gentoo on MacBooks is outdated and suggests you to
55 do this. I've been a bit lazy about the switch to doing things through
56 HAL's fdi policy, so some of my configurations, which I ported straight from
57 xorg.conf, might be deprecated or unsupported. But in any event, my
58 touchpad works, including things like two-finger click, scrolling, and so
59 on. You can see it here:
60 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Synaptics_Touchpad/Configuration
61
62 In general, feel free to send me personal emails about MacBook questions.
63
64 ~daid