From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Latest unstable ntp not generating ntp.drift file.
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 17:07:55
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 04 January 2011 01:31:27 Dale wrote:
5 >> Anybody else ran into this? Am I missing something that is different
6 >> on a 64 bit rig?
7 >>
8 > I discovered chrony some years ago, which has a sophisticated clock
9 > slewing mechanism, and haven't used ntp since.
10 >
11 > Chrony runs on my gateway machine to maintain a stable time source for
12 > the boxes inside, which are a mixture of 32- and 64-bit. I just don't
13 > think about timekeeping any more.
14 >
15 > You might want to give it a try.
19 I'll give it some thought. I was the same way about ntp on my old rig.
20 I set it up and it "just worked". It just doesn't work on this rig.
21
22 I let the unstable package run a good while and it never did create a
23 drift file. I emerged the stable version and it created a drift file
24 but it is still reseting almost 1 second every ten minutes. On the old
25 rig, once it got the drift file set up with a good value, it only synced
26 a few times a day and set maybe once a day and it was very little. On
27 the new rig, its having to reset every few minutes and still can't get
28 it right.
29
30 This is weird.
31