From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Memory cards and deleting files.
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 20:42:50
1 On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 20:40:49 +0100, antlists wrote:
2
3 > >> Warning 2: I did exactly that, and it LOOKED like it was working
4 > >> happily, until it overflowed some internal limit and my 1G card
5 > >> turned into a 128M card or whatever it was. Have you actually TESTED
6 > >> that card IN THE DASHCAM and made sure it can actually use that
7 > >> 128G? Or will it only be able to use 4G of that card?
8 >
9 > > There are a lot of SD cards with fake capacities, they appear to be
10 > > large but are actually a smaller card reprogrammed to do so. You only
11 > > find out when you go beyond the true capacity. There are tools to
12 > > check this, such as sys-block/f3.
13 >
14 > Did you look at the card sizes I quoted? :-) I think the reason I tried
15 > a 1GB card was because the camera said it took a max of 512MB. It
16 > didn't work ... (Oh and the card was good. It was small by the
17 > standards of the day.)
18
19 So that was SDHC vs SD? Or was it even that? 2GB was the original SD
20 limit IIRC correctly, so you weren't trying to use the wrong spec. Was it
21 just a case of a faulty card, either through accident or design.
22
23 However, those cards were more expensive than current huge cards, so the
24 temptation to sell fakes would have been even greater. Many years ago I
25 got burned like that with a large (for the time) capacity USB stick
26 bought on Ebay.
30 Neil Bothwick
31
32 Frog philosophy: Time's fun when you're having flies.