From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is my laptop getting old, or are some packages more and more demanding?
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 21:52:57
1 On Sunday 15 Jun 2014 20:37:46 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 15/06/2014 09:27, Mick wrote:
3 > >> And maybe your disks are tired too :-) . You do have hdparm results from
4 > >>
5 > >> > 4 years ago to compare?
6 > >
7 > > I have not install hdparm on this laptop, thinking that I do not really
8 > > need it for anything. Anyway, do disks spin slower with age? Even if
9 > > their bearings theoretically wear out and eventually slow down, would
10 > > this be perceptible?
11 > >
12 > > What readings would I be comparing? hdparm -t and -T?
13 >
14 > Yes, I'd look at those two. If disk performance was suffering due to
15 > age, I'd expect your seek times to suffer and that should show up with -tT
16 >
17 > Not too sure really how wear and tear translates to real life; overall
18 > it's probably just simple bloat you have, to borrow Walter's analogy you
19 > started with a sub-compact and now have a ginormous SUV!
20
21 I think that's call progress. ;-)
22
23 The Internet has grown and technology develops to deliver all this new
24 functionality that lynx can't really provide.
27 Regards,
28 Mick