From: James Wall <wallservices@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Binary install distro
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 03:27:22
1 On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 9:05 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 17:40:26 -0600, Dale wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>> The next thing you do is configure it to boot into text mode with all
7 >>>> the kernel messages visible. Then you've got something that's almost
8 >>>> tolerable.
9 >>>
10 >>> <  cough cough>   Care to share how you did that little trick?  I like
11 >>> to see the stuff scrolling up myself.
12 >>
13 >> Hold Shift during boot to bring up the GRUB menu, press E to edit, remove
14 >> the splash and quiet options and press Ctrl-X to boot. It's almost the
15 >> same as legacy GRUB, with just enough changes to confuse people :(
16 >>
17 >> Tp make it permanent, edit /etc/default/grub, remove the splash and quiet
18 >> options, save the file and run grub2-mkconfig (or the wrapper script that
19 >> Ubuntu provide, update-grub?).
20 >>
21 >>> Is there a way after the install to add a Windoze OS to grub and all?
22 >>> I unplugged the windoze drive to make sure it didn't mess that up OR I
23 >>> mess up something. So, grub, or some bootloader, is installed on the
24 >>> wrong drive in this case.
25 >>
26 >> Plug the drive back in and run grub2-mkconfig. It will generate a new
27 >> menu with a Windows option. No manual editing needed.
31 > Oh nooooooooo.  It can't be that easy.  O_O  I'm going to screw something up
32 > you watch.  lol
33 >
34 > Dale
35 >
37 >
38 > Oh, how do I boot it the first time tho?  When I plug the windoze drive up,
39 > there won't be a grub.  Yet anyway.  Hmmmmm.
42 Boot off the Ubuntu disc and chroot to the new install to run the commands.
46 No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large
47 number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.