From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] what to use for a pppoe client?
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2015 16:35:22
1 On Saturday 04 Apr 2015 13:32:28 lee wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I need a pppoe client, no server part necessary, to replace the
5 > black-box router because that thing sucks.
6 >
7 > Which package would you recommend? There seem to be at least two I
8 > could use:
11 > net-dialup/ppp
12 > net-dialup/rp-pppoe
15 > I'd like to see some connection statistics, i. e. the connection should
16 > be active 24/7, and I want to know when it's interrupted and
17 > re-established, preferably with good error reporting. It would suffice
18 > when I get an email telling me that the connection is down/up.
19
20 I have used net-dialup/ppp to handle the authentication with the ISP's RADIUS
21 server, but retained the ADSL modem (or router in fully bridged mode) which
22 performed the ATM encapsulation, on a G.DMT (ITU G.992.1) connection.
23
24 I used /etc/conf.d/net to configure ppp like so, while :
25 ===============================================
26 #PPPoE configuration
27 config_enp11s0=null
28 config_ppp0="ppp"
29 link_ppp0="enp11s0"
30 plugins_ppp0="pppoe"
31 username_ppp0='my_ISP_user_name'
32 password_ppp0='my_secret_passwd'
33 hide-password
34 pppd_ppp0="
35 noauth
36 defaultroute
37 usepeerdns
38 holdoff 3
39 child-timeout 60
40 lcp-echo-interval 15
41 lcp-echo-failure 3
42 #debug
43 noaccomp noccp nobsdcomp nodeflate nopcomp novj novjccomp"
44 #
45 rc_net_need_ppp0="net.enp11s0"
47
48 enp11s0 is the NIC with which I connected to the ADSL modem.
49
50 Your ISP should offer some settings in case the above are not appropriate for
51 your connection.
54 Regards,
55 Mick