From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo-systemd-only deprecation
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 22:04:17
1 Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 12:53 PM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > > Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 2:47 AM, Pavel Volkov <negaipub@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > >> > On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 11:09 AM, Pavel Volkov <negaipub@×××××.com> wrote:
8 > >> >>
9 > >> >> On Sunday 28 July 2013 03:22:02 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
10 > >> >> > Therefore, as of today, anyone can have a Gentoo machine with only
11 > >> >> > systemd, with no OpenRC installed.
12 > >> >>
13 > >> >> Really? Bug 373219 is still open.
14 > >> >
15 > >> >
16 > >> > Sorry, I missed your explanation at the end about that one. Ok, thanks for
17 > >> > what you've done :)
18 > >>
19 > >> Mmmh, and I missed this last reply of you.
20 > >>
21 > >> Anyway, dealing with /etc/init.d/functions.sh is basically trivial.
22 > >
23 > > But still, we have lots of packages with no systemd units -- shouldn't
24 > > they all have a systemd use flag and units to go with it -- basically
25 > > anything which has something in /etc/init.d . I was looking for a
26 > > sendmail unit and could find nothing, for one example.
27 >
28 > Yeah, we are not even near 100% coverage. However, one of the many
29 > advantages of systemd is that a service unit from a distribution
30 > usually works as-is or with minimal changes in any other.
31 >
32 > For many basic unit files, you can go to
33 >
34 > https://github.com/vonSchlotzkow/systemd-gentoo-units
35 >
36 > It has a unit file for postfix, for example. If the one you are
37 > looking for is not there, you can search in other distributions. If
38 > you download the RPM from
39 > http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/21317874/dir/fedora_19/com/sendmail-8.14.7-1.fc19.i686.rpm.html,
40 > and extract the files with rpm2tarbz2, then you can get the
41 > sendmail.service file.
42 >
43 > It will probably need some changes to work with Gentoo, but it should
44 > not be difficult.
45 >
46 > When is working, you can send your unit to the package maintainer in
47 > Gentoo, and at some point it could be included in the package (like
48 > the OpenRC init script).
49 >
50 > That's how we will get 100% coverage, eventually.
51
52 OK, I will check those -- thanks. I hope package maintainers now start
53 putting those service units in, now that systemd is required by gnome.
57 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
58 How do
59 you spend it?
60
61 John Covici