From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] really annoying boxes in firefox and evolution
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 00:38:53
1 On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 22:13 +0000, Mick wrote:
2 > On 13/06/06, Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au> wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > I'm getting a strange font problem in evolution and firefox - evolution
6 > > shows square boxes when it should be showing tabs, and firefox shows
7 > > square boxes in java applets when it should be showing spaces.
10 > Not sure it helps, but I occasionally see the same effect with the
11 > square boxes in Konqueror (I don't have Java on my systems). Changing
12 > encoding manually solves it. So I assume that it is related to some
13 > language code meta tag in the html/css code which Konqueror does not
14 > like. Opera and FF seem to be less fussy about it.
15
16 Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately different encodings didn't make
17 much difference. However, I did notice this when I started firefox from
18 the command line:
19
20 $ firefox
21 No running windows found
22 Warning: Cannot convert string
23 "-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-*-140-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1" to type
24 FontStruct
25
26 what on earth does that mean? I tried installing
27 font-bh-lucidatypewriter-100dpi and font-bh-lucidatypewriter-75dpi but
28 that didn't seem to do anything. I think I'm barking up the wrong
29 tree...
33 There is no royal road to geometry.
34 -- Euclid
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list