From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] basic grub question
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 13:35:06
1 On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 08:42:45 -0400, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
2
3 > > > But the manual and the html pages constantly talk about the grub
4 > > > command or rather the grub interactive command, and they usually
5 > > > call it grub, maybe it has a different name.
6 > >
7 > > That's the GRUB interactive shell, that you get to from the boot menu
8 > > (press c) or get dropped into it if there is no grub.cfg file.
11 > hmmm, I thought you could do it from the console as well, for certain
12 > commands.
13
14 The commands that show up in "qlist grub" can be run from a standard
15 shell. The GRUB interactive shell is different, with its own set of
16 commands. You really need to read the online manual or the info pages
17 again. The man pages explain the individual commands, but only the full
18 manual shows how it all fits together.
19
20 Why are you looking to switch from Lilo to GRUB now? If Lilo works, stick
21 with it. If it is because you have EFI hardware, I'd skip GRUB and go
22 straight to Gummiboot or systemd-boot.
26 Neil Bothwick
27
28 Weird enough for government work.