From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The SIMPLEST web server to config (this time - just for serving video files) ?
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 19:24:08
1 On Sunday 13 Nov 2011 18:21:17 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > Pandu asked a similar question a few days ago about serving up
4 > files, but mostly for distfiles IIRC. It got me thinking about doing
5 > the same sort of thing, but this time to serve up MP4 video files for
6 > my Kindle Fire as well as other computers on _only_ my home network.
7 > Sort of an in-house Mark's Watch Instantly setup. I've now got a few
8 > hundred gigabyte of mp4 files ripped with Grant's suggested app
9 > Handbrake. They look good on my desktop playing in xine. When the
10 > Kindle Fire arrives I'd like to have a web server running on my
11 > private network that Silk (Amazon's KF broswer) could access, possibly
12 > presenting nothing but the alphabetical folders that the video files
13 > are in, and then if I select one it starts streaming that file.
14 >
15 > My main issue isn't really the lightest in terms of memory or CPU
16 > usage, but rather something that's VERY easy to setup the config so
17 > that I don't have to spend much time reading manuals.
18 >
19 > From browsing around a lot of pages on the web it seems that there
20 > are a number of small & light servers (in terms of memory anyway) in
21 > portage. Some names: fnord, thttpd, boa, monkeyd & cherokee. Does
22 > anyone know if one of those would fit my main need of just being
23 > extremely simple to setup and keep running for this one purpose?
24 >
25 > Thanks in advance,
26 > Mark
27
28 Both thttpd and boa that I am using are extremely simple to configure - just a
29 few lines in their config files and your iptables rules to allow access from
30 your LAN, or from a particular IP address. Apache is also not *too*
31 complicated, although it is more work for sure and much more demanding on
32 resources. Certainly an overkill for your needs.
33
34 lighttpd is another feature rich alternative, not as small footprint, but in
35 some tests marginally faster than thttpd. monkeyd also quite fast.
36
37 If your priorities are low demand on resources on the host PC and a high
38 response/throughput speed for single threads, then I'd say give boa a spin.
39 If you will be connecting in parallel with multiple clients check lighttpd, or
40 thttpd.
41
42 If you are keen on exotica consider nginx, or G-WAN, but their configuration
43 may be more involved.
44 --
45 Regards,
46 Mick