From: Simon <turner25@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sync'ing two computers (not related to emerge)
Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 23:03:08
1 > If you are using ssh with unison, are you using the "KeepAlive yes"
2 > option in your ssh configuration? If not, add it, and your connection
3 > should not close from inactivity. If you are using direct sockets,
4 > unison will use a keepalive so it can timeout if the communication link
5 > is broken.
6
7 Well i was using it, but i found out the option was commented out on
8 my host's config... i set it to yes and trying again now... will
9 have results in a few mins....
10
11 > How long is unison taking to check for changes? I can usually reconcile
12 > changes in my home directory (approximately 45G, 125,000 files) in less
13 > than 10-15 seconds between my slow laptop drive and a remote machine.
14 > However, if you are syncing with a Windows machine, expect the sync to
15 > be much slower. Fast checking is not safe on Windows, as unison can miss
16 > changes, so it scans every file every time unless you tell it otherwise.
17
18 Well, the problem seems to be with my /usr/portage that had not been
19 sync'ed for a long time (i guess it has to make thorough difference
20 checking?). So there is lots of files to check. It really takes
21 minutes to scan for changes, i'm timing this run, if it fails i'll
22 post how long it takes to do the whole scan until it starts
23 transfering and finds out it got timed out.
24 Sync'ing is done from linux to linux. The problem is really hardware
25 related; i'm thinking on getting a new portable HD, but since i'm
26 about to loose my job,i might want to wait! ;)
27
28 Thanks!