From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gcc upgrade: what's safest option?
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 18:59:35
1 Richard Fish wrote:
2 > On 8/12/06, b.n. <brullonulla@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> I have a couple of questions:
4 >> - Is it safe to upgrade with a full desktop
5 >> (Xorg+Xfce+Thunderbird+Firefox...) system running, or will I get
6 >> everything crashing on me?
7 >
8 > If you start things up beforehand and leave them running, this should
9 > be safe.
10
11 OK.
12
13 > Just be sure to follow section 3 of the gcc upgrade guide
14 > here:
15 >
16 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml
17
18 Yes, that's my little precious bible now.
19
20 > I would actually recommend a slightly modified version of those
21 > instructions though:
22 >
23 > emerge -uv gcc
24 > gcc-config ... # or eselect compiler set
25 > source /etc/profile
26 > emerge --oneshot libtool
27 > revdep-rebuild --library=libstdc++.so.5
28 > emerge -C =sys-devel/gcc-3.3*
29 > emerge -e world
30
31 Thanks. It seems to make sense.
32
33 > So since you would chrooting into your system, and using the compilers
34 > and libraries from your system, the knoppix kernel buys you nothing
35 > here as far as safety.
36
37 Yes, but by using Knoppix apps these shouldn't crash, being independent
38 from the chroot environment.
39 My concerns were mostly about the peril of X crashing (and being
40 temporarly unable to come again up) vs memory usage penalty with a
41 knoppix (but chrooted environment, no apps crashing).
42
43 However I guess I'll start the recompile tonight and eventually spend
44 tomorrow reading and cleaning home...
45
46 > It should be noted that python links against libstdc++, and since
47 > portage relies on a working python, it would be a very good idea to
48 > quickpkg python and gcc before beginning. Then should something go
49 > catastrophically wrong, you should be able to untar python and/or gcc
50 > to get back to a working environment...
51
52 This was already on my list :)
53
54 Thanks,