From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] browser advice
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 15:32:00
1 Jorge Almeida ha scritto:
2 >> I haven't tested, but I think that if you change
3 >> http://www.google.com/search with
4 >>
5 >> http://www.a-working-google-in-english-url.whatever/search
6 >>
7 >> you could have your preferred behaviour hardcoded.
8 >>
9 >> m.
10 >>
11 > Maybe that would work, but it shouldn't be necessary.
12
13 Please don't get me wrong -no personal attack intended, really- but
14 changing browser too shouldn't be necessary. You continue to complain
15 about this (admittedly very minor, even if annoying) bug and instead of
16 using just a very simple workaround, you throw out babies and dirty
17 water, saying "it shouldn't be necessary". You have a solution, probably
18 working, that is much easier than changing browser, importing
19 preferences and the like. Why don't you try?
20
21 Do as you like it, but it seems to me quite an odd reaction. Next time
22 you'll meet a bug in Linux or Gentoo that would just require editing a
23 text file, you'll change OS?
24 :)
25
26 The really appropriate reaction, in the meantime, is filing a bug
27 (because in this you're perfectly right -it's a bug, or at least an
28 annoyance) at the firefox bugzilla, I guess. You're right to complain,
29 that's for sure.
30
31 > Please don't bother about this. Changing browser is not a
32 > life-shattering experience,
33
34 Sure, but editing a tiny text file seems even less life-shattering, IMHO.
35
36 >and both Opera and Konqueror seem nice
37 > enough.
38
39 They are good software indeed, just like FF. But what will you do when
40 you'll met the next bug with them?
41
42 It's not like I want to defend FF. It isn't perfect, and I really don't
43 care about what browser are you using. It's the approach that leaves me
44 perplexed.
45
46 Still, without any animosity. Your complain led me also discover
47 something, so it was useful. :)
48
49 m.
50 --