From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sound (?) but no sound
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 18:58:01
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 19 June 2007, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
3 >
4 >> Everything has been compiled with the arts and oggvorbis flags, and I
5 >> did an emerge -e word to ensure everything had been compiled with the
6 >> actual flags.
7 >>
8 >> What am I missing?
11 > You are not missing anything, you have something too much.
12 >
13 > Remove arts from your USE, from package.use and emerge -uND world
14 >
15 > Then start fault finding from the start all over again :-)
16 >
17 > Seriously, that utter piece of trash called arts has caused more grief
18 > to KDE than just about anything else ever written for the entire
19 > project. And you don't need it anymore - alsa now does everything arts
20 > ever could, and more
21 >
22 > alan
26 Well, wanting to be up with the times, I removed the arts USE flag and
27 did a emerge -uvDN world. 12 hours later the update is done. I have no
28 sound where before it was working fine. I can play a CD. I get no
29 sound from anything else. Is it possible that I NEED arts for mine to work?
30
31 Any ideas?
32
33 Dale