From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Setting up fetchmail to feed postfix
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 17:48:28
1 On 2017-11-27 17:13, Ralph Seichter wrote:
2
3 > These few lines save you from all the potential hassle that sharing
4 > read/write access to the same files could bring. Dovecot will ensure
5 > that indexes are up to date when mail is delivered, and that alone is
6 > reason enough for me.
7
8 Do you really need lmtp for that, though? As far as I remember simply
9 piping the messages to the /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver program, as the
10 deilivery mechanism, will ensure the same thing. I don't know postfix
11 much though, so maybe that's hard to do with postfix, unlike my pet
12 exim.
13
14 Also, even if you completely ignore dovecot at delivery time and write
15 the mailbox behind its back, it will update the index as soon as you
16 connect via IMAP. I remember wondering about this when I saw such a
17 setup and musing how it could possibly work, but it does.
20 Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
21 if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
22 To reply privately _only_ on Usenet, fetch the TXT record for the domain.