From: Michael Higgins <linux@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] perl-5.10.0 [?!?!]
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 06:49:42
1 On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:44:51 -0800
2 Michael Higgins <linux@×××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 12:15:36 -0800
5 > "Andrey Falko" <ma3oxuct@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >
7 > > >
8 > > > It is about catalystframework, which is in the perl-experimental
9 > > > overlay (a misnomer if ever there was one, "experimental"). It is
10 > > > about perl 5.10.0, which is long overdue for making it into the
11 > > > tree (never mind just into an overlay).
14 > > You want to upgrade to perl 5.10.0 on an experimental/testing box?
15 > > Or do you need perl 5.10.0 for a production environment?
16 >
17 > Its an upgrade. New features. I want it. Others are already using it.
18 > Waaaaah! '-)
19 >
20 > Seriously, 5.8 is being deprecated. Perl6 is what is experimental.
21 > Just check what distros have perl 5.10 and which don't. It doesn't
22 > look good for Gentoo!
23
24 [8<]
25
26 Bad form to reply to myself and change the subject, but for anyone who *does* happen to care, a postscript. '-)
27
28 There doesn't *appear* to be a plan to move perl-5.10.0 into the tree any time soon, but there are plenty of requests on b.g.o.
29
30 My experience was after fixing the ebuild from the perl-"experimental" overlay to remove a call to non-existing command-line patch file and just emerging it, perl-cleaner didn't work well for me. Neither does g-cpan, it *seems*... anyway, these are just utilities for managing the perl installation, not *really* needed...
31
32 So after re-emerging all the modules with some shell scripting, everything strictly perl-ish, catalsytframework included, worked fine. Yeah!
33
34 OTOH, in the gentoo tree area, it broke emerging perl-tk and inkscape... :(
35
36 After a lot of googling, I sent related links for reference, two ebuilds and some patches to b.g.o. as now everything on this system installs and plays nicely with perl 5.10.0.
37
38 I hope it saves someone some time and gets us closer to current perl. If anyone else wants to try it, but runs into these show-stoppers, the (possibly) needed bits are all up there. "Worked for me." '-)
39
40 As far as slotting the perl 5.8 and 5.10 ebuilds, I have no idea if they will. Anyway I think it's traditional to have different versions of perl on a machine, since you just call from /usr/bin/perl and it actually just points to the symlink for the perl you want, so it should be dead easy. But then emerge empties the old perl binary and modules from the 5.8 tree, so who knows... is still the question, I think.
45 | |ichael | |iggins \^ /
46 michael.higgins[at]evolone[dot]org