From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: Users Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] b43-legacy and newer linux kernels?
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 06:04:12
1 I have a laptop that has been running Linux Kernel 2.6.30 Gentoo-R8 (gentoo
2 sources, don't remember which version) for a while. It has a Broadcom 4306 Rev 2
3 wireless card that has been working well with that kernel. I extracted the
4 firmware from the broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5 blob a while ago using b43-fwcutter
5 011. I have to hard-code the network settings in /etc/conf.d/net for my home
6 network, but am able to use wpa_supplicant whenever I go elsewhere. (I think
7 it's my home wireless router that causes the issue; probably needs a firmware
8 upgrade.)
9
10 Any how, I recently upgraded to Linux Kernel 2.6.34 Gentoo-R7 (gentoo-sources
11 2.6.34-r1); again using the b43-legacy driver for the wireless. However, now I
12 can't keep a network connection up. I keep getting errors from the
13 /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 startup - namely: SIOCSIFFLAGS Unknown Error 132. I had to
14 reboot onto the older kernel to write this message and try to research the issue
15 a little.
16
17 From on-line, some sites suggest the following as a solution:
18
19 rmmod ath9k
20 rfkill block all
21 rfkill unblock all
22 modprobe ath9k
23 rfkill unblock all
24 however, rfkill seems to only be in testing for gentoo
25 (http://packages.gentoo.org/package/net-wireless/rfkill), and I'm using the
26 b43-legacy instead of the ath9k driver - okay, no problem there, just switch out
27 which driver is unloaded and reloaded. Haven't tried it yet as I have to reboot;
28 but even so - they are saying this has to be done on every reboot, and that's
29 not much of a solution.
30
31 Further, I can't seem to find a version of b43-fwcutter that will extract any of
32 the b43-legacy firmware - even the one I had successfully extracted (011, 012,
33 13).
34
35 Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone know if this gets resolved (or made
36 worse) by a newer kernel?
37
38 Ben