From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] glibc-2.17 fails and warning: setlocale: LC_ALL error
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 07:32:41
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Hinnerk van Bruinehsen wrote:
3 >> On a side note:
4 >>
5 >> You can also boot into a chroot, move your /etc and /var directories elsewhere
6 >> (e.g. etc_old and var_old) (do the same for other directories where you
7 >> yourself made changes), extract a stage 3 tarball on top of your normal
8 >> / directory (overwriting potentially broken stuff), move etc_old and var_old
9 >> back to their old locations/names, chroot into it (like during install) and
10 >> emerge @system @world -evDNa (to rebuild everything from the known-good start
11 >> that the stage3 provides).
12 > It's getting close to nap time here. Also, more stormy stuff could pop
13 > up at any time. I shut the old rig back down again. It doesn't have a
14 > UPS or anything on it. Anyway, I suspect strongly that the error is on
15 > the stage3 tarball. I got it installed but I have not been able to get
16 > a clean emerge -e system as of yet. I generally unpack, get things to
17 > where I can emerge and then do a emerge -e system as soon as I can.
18 > That way anything else I build is built on top of updated packages. I
19 > have installed Gentoo so many times it is pitiful.
20 >
21 > What I may do, unpack the stage3 somewhere, recompile glibc to create a
22 > binary and then install that package. I'm not going to be to shocked if
23 > it fails to build straight out of the stage3 tarball tho.
24 >
25 > I'm going to work on this some more when I get both eyes open.
26 >
27 > Dale
28 >
29 > :-) :-)
32 I tried this. I unpacked the stage3 tarball just like I would for a new
33 install, in /mnt/gentoo of course. I set it up just enough to where I
34 could try and emerge glibc and just see if it would complete or if it
35 would fail. It failed. It seems to me that while it may be complaining
36 about the kernel version, something else is really the issue. I'm using
37 the latest kernel so it can't be that. I also installed linux-headers
38 and tried again, still failed.
39
40 I also checked on the locale,gen file. It is the wrong file type within
41 the tarball. It shows up as GENESIS rom there as well instead of a
42 plain text file.
43
44 It seems to me that the stage3 tarball is broke. I'm not sure what else
45 to try at this point. When the source is broke, it's sort of hard to
46 fix the rest.
47
48 Where to go from here?
49