From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ATI RS480 [Radeon Xpress 200G]
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 22:31:52
1 On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 2:18 PM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > As I seem to have a natural ability to not find the best
5 > /(most accurate) information regarding video cards and drivers,
6 > I thought I'd ask here.
9 > I just inherited a new friend (with a gentoo) system
10 > that has this entry in the make.conf file:
11 > VIDEO_CARDS="radeon vesa"
14 > lspci shows this:
15 > 01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc
16 > RS480 [Radeon Xpress 200G Series]
17 >
18 > So I'm thinking of switching the machine to the ati-drivers.
19 >
20 > Are there any other options?
23 > I do not see a radeon driver (using eix radeon)
24 >
25 > so I guess the choices are ati-drivers or vesa?
26 >
27 > I think the system is running on a vesa driver, although
28 > I do not really know the command syntax to discern
29 > exactly which video driver the system is using.
32 > Any suggestions are welcome.
33 >
34 > James
35
36 The radeon driver is in the kernel/xorg-X11. The ati-drivers package
37 is closed source, proprietary stuff. did you do an lsmod to see what
38 module is running?
39
40 - Mark