From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: AMD vs. Intel on Gentoo?
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 18:35:26
1 Norman Rieß <norman <at> smash-net.org> writes:
4 > > It is a pity. When did AMD's overall advantage disappear?
5
6 > With the arrival of the Core CPU's.
7
8 When/if AMD is able to complete their new architecture, integrating
9 video processors with 64 bit processors they might become competitive
10 on a cost/performance basis. Certainly with AMD open sourcing new video
11 driver development, they still have a v very strong appeal to open sources
12 users. HIGH end technical clusters and the processors they use are different
13 needs than the average small business or consumer, which needs robust support
14 for open source video and applications.
17 If everyone runs to Intel, we'll all be *very sorry* in a few years.......
20 The ultimate questions is do you really make a purchase decision base strictly
21 on extreme benchmark results, or do you stand by your vendor, as they regroup
22 and keep things competitive? Remember Intel has been just as evil as Redmond
23 particular in matters related to DeCSS and video on computer issues, IMHO.
26 AMD is my soul_mate....(particularly since they are open sourcing new
27 ATI video drivers...)
28
29 James
41 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list