From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About to have fiber internet and need VPN info
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2022 08:32:39
1 On Saturday, 6 August 2022 07:07:26 BST Dale wrote:
2 > Michael wrote:
3 > > All connections to banks are encrypted end-to-end for decades now and the
4 > > encryption has becoming stronger over the years.
5 >
6 > That is likely true. I still remember Snowden tho. We don't know what
7 > backdoors are in use even for bank encryption.
8
9 It's safer to assume state actors have full access to bank information. The
10 hope is bad guys don't get access too! ;-)
13 > Thing is, open source
14 > tools are harder to fall into that trap since everyone can see what the
15 > code is. If a backdoor is forced in, it will be known to a lot of
16 > people and then that tool won't be used. It's sort of funny in a way,
17 > they more Govts and others try to restrict things, the more tools there
18 > is to get around it. From what I've read, most VPNs use open source
19 > tools. Most even use the current best and would upgrade if needed.
20 > That gives me some extra protection in the event my bank or any other
21 > website falls behind on updating theirs.
22
23 A VPN gives no end-to-end protection whatsoever in this scenario. All you get
24 is protection in the network connection between your PC and the VPN server.
25 From the VPN server onward to your bank, the connection will be no more
26 protected than whatever encryption protocol the bank offers. Only a VPN
27 server offered by your bank for connections to their network would afford
28 additional protection in this scenario.
31 > Basically, I don't trust Govt with much of anything. If they say they
32 > don't do something bad, you can pretty much bet they are doing exactly
33 > that or even worse.
34
35 Heh! After the Snowden revelations any such suspicions could be taken as a
36 certainty.
39 [snip ...]
40 > Well, that settles that then. I guess it will be Surfshark. Pretty
41 > sure it is in the Netherlands but may be wrong on country. I just
42 > recall it being outside US jurisdiction. I also read they have been
43 > audited by independent people to ensure they have no logs even if asked.
44
45 Surfshark gets good reviews and it offers the wireguard protocol with the
46 ChaCha20 cipher for better encryption and performance. However, the
47 Netherlands is part of the EU and 14 eyes, so I would think similar state
48 powers exist to access your private communications and the ISPs would have no
49 way of refusing and staying in business. Surfshark offers a warrant canary,
50 but it looks more like a marketing statement to me when you compare it to
51 something like the Qubes digitally signed canaries.