From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Do I need the vmlinuz symbolic link with Grub?
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 03:34:54
1 On Wednesday 31 August 2005 04:25, Daevid Vincent wrote:
2 > Somehow net-wireless/madwifi-driver has broken on me (0.1_pre20050420-r1),
3 > so I thought I'd recompile it. No luck. So I thought, maybe my kernel
4 > source was different than my actual kernel (2.6.10-gentoo-r6), so I ran:
5 > "make bzImage modules modules_install"
6 >
7 > Copied and renamed the bzImage file over to /boot and all that jazz.
8 >
9 > But I don't think I'm getting the right kernel as the date for my kernel is
10 > today, but my vmlinuz is older.
11 >
12 > How is that symlink created? And how is the vmlinuz-2.6.10-gentoo-r6
13 > created? What happens if I rm that symlink or the file? Is my system
14 > unbootable?
17 if you type 'make install' (very recommended) the vmlinuz-2.6.XX file is
18 copied to /boot, alongside its corresponding config and system.map.
19 A 'vmlinuz'/'System.map' link is created that points to the latest installed
20 kernel, and some '*.old' symlinks that point to the previous kernel version.
21
22 Can you safely remove all this symlinks?
23 Yes, of course.
24
25 But it is very convinient, to have vmlinuz and vmlinuz.old as boot options in
26 grub.conf.
27 This way, you'll have nothing to do after an update, and the old kernel is
28 always there as a safety net.
29
30 make all modules_install install and you have nothing to do (except
31 mounting /boot).
32 --
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list