From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux, reiserfs and file fragmentation
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 12:01:22
1 Michal 'vorner' Vaner wrote:
2 > Hello
3 >
4 > On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 05:06:43AM -0600, Dale wrote:
5 >
6 >> My questions; is this badly fragmented? How can I "unfragment" all the
7 >> files and not bork something up badly?
8 >> My opinion on this tho, considering this install is about 4 years old, not
9 >> to bad. I've seen worse on a windoze rig shortly after a install. ;-)
12 > I would guess the fragmented files are the big ones. And, with average
13 > of 2 fragments per file, it is not too much. If you have a movie with
14 > 30MB fragments, then it is no problem.
15 >
16 > Unless you hear lot of rattling noise from the HDD, you could leave it
17 > as is.
18 >
19 > And the surest way to defragment a filesystem is take everything out and
20 > put it back again. It will write the files one after another and will
21 > have no reason to split them.
25 So if for example I copied everything over to a different hard drive and
26 then copied everything back, it would be "defragmented" then?
27
28 I would think of something like this:
29
30 Boot some live CD.
31 Mount old and backup drives.
32 Copy old drive to a backup drive using cp -av yada yada.
33 Make a new file system on the old drive to make sure all is clean.
34 Copy everything back over from the backup to the old drive using cp -av
35 yada yada.
36
37 I would also take the opportunity to redo a few partitions while I was
38 able to.
39
40 The biggest slow down by the way is when logging into KDE the first
41 time. It takes a long while and that drive is just a getting it. The
42 light just stays on while loading everything up.
43
44 Your thoughts and others if needed.
45
46 Dale