From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] per package parallel build
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2019 17:18:56
1 On 03/12/19 15:43, John Blinka wrote:
4 > On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 5:35 PM Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk
5 > <mailto:neil@××××××××××.uk>> wrote:
6 >
7 > On Sat, 30 Nov 2019 16:47:35 +0000, Wols Lists wrote:
8 >
9 > > > There's no need to mess around adding and removing masks, just use
10 > > > the -
11 > > > - exclude option.
12 > > >
13 > > > Yep! For some reason, that option doesn’t always occur to me, but
14 > > > that’s clearly a simpler way to do it. Thanks for reminding me!
15 > > >
16 > > Couldn't you just have a script that "emerge --update"s each
17 > package in
18 > > sequence? If the package isn't due for update nothing will happen. And
19 > > then you could follow that with an "emerge world" knowing that
20 > your hogs
21 > > are already done.
22 >
23 > Sometimes the packages are rebuilt without an update, especially if you
24 > use --changed-use or --changed-deps, so it's not quite that simple.
27 > But still pretty simple. I’ve just used the “build in sequence” idea
28 > for an update that forced a libreoffice rebuild. It first upgraded a
29 > few of libreoffice’s dependencies in parallel, and then rebuilt
30 > libreoffice by itself afterwards. A subsequent emerge @world upgraded a
31 > bunch of minor kde stuff. I like this idea - seems to isolate the
32 > “hogs” so they build one at a time, and it does so without any
33 > intervention on my part. Thanks!
34 >
35 Eggsackerley
36
37 If you do an "emerge memory-hog --normal-options" (whatever your normal
38 options are), then when you do an "emerge world" with those same
39 options, it should not see the need to emerge said memory-hog.
40
41 Cheers,
42 Wol