From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: DVD Movie backups
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 01:24:11
1 On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 6:35 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I guess you are saying that either the CSS keys are completely
4 > unnecessary, or that the DVD-RW drive can read but not write to the
5 > area where they are stored?
6
7 I think, typically, when a DVD with copy-protection is manufactured,
8 it is sent on DLT tape or a special "DVD for Authoring" disc which
9 contains the unencrypted movie but also an extra area with encryption
10 data needed by the disc manufacturer who can press the real, encrypted
11 DVDs. In other words you can't burn your own CSS-encrypted DVD at
12 home. :)