From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Install Migration
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 07:35:59
1 On Monday 04 June 2007, Randy Barlow wrote:
2 > I've set up my desktop machine using LVM over software raid, and
3 > although I like it I'm getting weary of the complication of the setup
4 > for a simple desktop system. What I would like to do is get the same
5 > install (packages, config files, etc) as are currently used, but have
6 > it all on one file system for simplicity. I know I can use DD to
7 > copy a filesystem, but I don't think that will work in this case. I
8 > was thinking of doing a fresh install and then using my backup of
9 > /etc to try and get the same setup. If I copy the world file from
10 > the previous system and emerge -e world, will that get all the
11 > packages I currently have? Afterwards I would just copy the rest of
12 > /etc into place and go about on my merry way. Are there any problems
13 > with this approach?
14
15 No need to reinstall, you just need to shuffle some stuff around. But
16 first, what is your setup?
17
18 Post the results of 'df -h', {pv,vg,lv}display and fdisk -l so I can see
19 how big etc your partitions and volumes are. Also fstab
20
21 alan
26 Optimists say the glass is half full,
27 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
28 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
29
30 Alan McKinnon
31 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
32 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
33 --
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list